Announcements!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some big announcements today--relative to recent announcements, anyway. But first, to sum up:

On Saturday, the honorable Kurtis Scaletta alerted me to the fact that local YA author Swati Avasthi was reading at the Loft from her just-released debut SPLIT. I went to the reading. It was fantastic. I'm not far into the book yet, but so far it's superbly and vividly written. Great voice, serious subject matter handled well. I recommend it! Of course, I got my new copy signed by the author while I was there and we chatted a bit. It's nice to live in a town (err, twin town) with such a strong community of writers for young people. In fact, I'm at the Loft right now. My class begins in 90 minutes or so.

What have I been doing down here all afternoon? Well, I've finished my first read-through of YA MS the Second, and it . . . wants for much, let's say. I like it, mind you. I really do. It's even okay in some places where I thought it was utter garbage. But there's this one interesting character in particular who literally vanishes after page like 15, never to return. I ask you: wtf.

Okay, so, on to fun announcements. I'm nearly ready to end the signed ARC contest, but I'm going to give one more chance to enter, and this one will be the biggy--LOTS of chances for entries, such that previous entries will seem like chicken feed, kind of like that bonus round on the Family Feud. Watch for details on that in the next few days.

And finally, BEA! I'll be there, signing on Wednesday late afternoon. But even more exciting is the Carolrhoda LAB big event on Monday night. It's a swanky, invite-only affair, and I'll be (gulp) at the front of the room waxing intellectually with the AE. What, me worry?

Comments

5 Responses to “Announcements!”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Alea said...

How funny would it be if we met for the first time at BEA, when we literally live 15 minutes apart. It's totally gonna happy!

March 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Oh, yes, I attended the reading too, and both Swati and her book are fabulous.

As for BEA, I wish I could make it today, but things have gotten in the way.

Have fun!

March 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM

today --> this year*
Wowza.

March 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM
Anonymous said...

Ok seriously I've got to get a link or something to The Loft. They've had other authors I've missed and we get few of them around here!

I will be doing the first reading of my rough draft soon and I dread it! Fingers crossed it doesn't completely stink.

March 23, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Have fun at BEA, Steve!

April 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM