"Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain & Tennille, 1975

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

(I'm not sure if Carrie's repeatables thing is still happening, but I can't go back to the regularly scheduled alphabetical programming without focusing on this song.)

I had planned to highlight this song--written by Neil Sedaka, recorded by loads of people, a huge smash hit for Captain & Tennille, and parodied (sort of) by Joy Division--because it's the only song in my Top Hundred that is also a Grammy winner. How outta sight is that?

It's also the newest repeatable on this list. When I wrote Guy in Real Life, one scene in particular which anyone who's read that book will easily identify, I listened to this song incessantly. It stands out on a book-writing playlist filled otherwise with deathcore, Bjork, and Berlioz. After the book was done--like, done done: drafted, revised, copyedited, proofread--it is the only song on that playlist I can still listen to on repeat for an hour or more at a time. I cannot explain this, except that the keys are totally danceable and the bass line is a blast. Also it modulates I think, which is so fun sometimes. Shut up.