"And who should I make it out to?"

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

(Or is that "Out to whom should I make it?"?)

I'm going to try to write an entry, even though Sam is not currently napping. He seems pretty focused on the rug in the hallway.

Big day! I had my first-ever book signing! It was at the International Reading Association north convention in Minneapolis, at booth 1526, to be specific. I must have signed about forty or fifty books. Maybe? I'm not sure; should have kept track. It was pretty thrilling, though. Now, I'm no fool. I know full well that most if not all of the people I signed for today were responding to the big "FREE" on my placard. Still, it was really flattering. Most visitors (librarians and teachers, most of them) were genuinely glad to meet me and have me sign their free book. One teacher said her ELL students had read Mummy at Midnight already, and had liked it a lot. AND one librarian said her boys love the Jake Maddox books. Eric Stevens will be so proud when I tell him. By the way, of the two available books, I Dare You! was the more popular choice by far. We ran out of stock. I think people are looking for "boy" books, and the male narrator and spooky cover fit the bill.

In other news, Beth's mother-in-law is still town, living in the attic. She and Sam get along like a house afire. Tonight, she will babysit so Beth and I can go out for supper. We're thinking Tanpopo. And tomorrow afternoon, in celebration of Mother's Day a little early, we're having Beth's family (or some of it) over for a cookout! Turkey burgers! Turgers! And one veggie burger.

Comments

4 Responses to “"And who should I make it out to?"”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Alea said...

How fun! Love seeing the sign!

May 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Kangaroo B said...

Awesome. But I don't think your 'turgers' neologism is going to catch on. It makes me think of "turd burgers." Not very appetizing.

May 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM
Steve Brezenoff said...

Burkeys?

Roo, you already changed your location to Australia on your Blogger profile.

May 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Kangaroo B said...

Actually: It was always Australia on my profile. I made that my location back when it was a silly joke that I might ever actually go to the place. I made it that just to fit with the 'kangaroo b' moniker. Shows what I know about the future.

I'm not going until around November.

May 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM