"A Sunday Kind of Love" by Etta James, 1961

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The first on the Top-101 List, in alphabetical order, is this standard song as performed (most famously) by Etta James.

I'll be totally up front: before a certain commercial that played incessantly in the year 2003 or so (I think it was for men's pants), the only Etta James tune I'd have known was her other perennial favorite, "At Last." But Beth and I spent a tremendous amount of time in 2003 watching TV. We watched all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We watched Sex and the City. We also watched Trading Spaces till our eyes bled. I'm assuming TLC ran the pants commercial a lot. "A Sunday Kind of Love" became one of our favorite songs, and probably our first "our" song. We connected with the lyrics--with this idea of the right, relaxed, long-term kind of love--so well, that when we got married in 2006, it was our first-dance song.