"Groove Is in the Heart" by Deee-Lite, 1990

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

It's got everything: most danceable beat of all time, hot vocals, Q-tip rap, Bootsy and Maceo, and the maddest video on Mtv in 1990.

I drove with a friend of mine to Albany to visit the SUNY there in 1991. The only tape we had in the car was the cassingle of "Groove Is in the Heart" and we listened to it over and over. In 1991, you can believe that was waaaaaaay outside the box for me, since I'd been a classic rock fan and specifically a Dead Head for the last several years. Modern music seeped very slowly into my brain, and something featuring sampled beats and rapping was so out of my comfort zone . . . seriously I can't overstate how weird it was at the time.

Anyway it's obviously ridiculous and perfect so here's the mad video.