"I Can See It in Your Eyes" by Men At Work, 1982

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

(I've skipped ahead a bit, alphabetically, in order to post this with Carrie Mesrobian, who is revealing her list of oft-repeated writing tunes. When I'm done focusing on the most repeatable songs, I'll get back to where I left off. Read the first in Carrie's series.)

This song is kind of super important to me. I've never come up with a good explanation for why it completely devoured me when I was freaking eight years old. It makes no sense. It's a fairly mature love (end-of-love) song, lyrics-wise, by a band that, if not for a couple of (let's face it) novelty tracks, would have remained in relative obscurity outside of their native Australia.

But for some reason this track--at first just its ridiculously 1980s guitar solo, and eventually the whole song--leapt out at me as something different and special, distinct from the other songs on the LP, which I've had since 1982. (It still plays all right in spite of my tossing the paper sleeve inside the cardboard sleeve because when I was eight I thought you were supposed to throw that part out. I don't know.)

Anyway, in keeping with the spirit of Carrie's new series, I give you "I Can See It in Your Eyes," my first musical obsession and, without question, the song that has received the most repeated plays in my lifetime--and considering that the first thousand of those were on vinyl, please appreciate what a pain in the ass that was for an eight-year-old.